How to Download eBooks onto a Nook
Set up your computer
- Click on the OverDrive icon on Roxana Public Library’s website.
- To download, read, and transfer eBooks, you must download and install Adobe Digital Editions, free software available from our OverDrive site, found under Digital Software on the left.
- To download and install Adobe Digital Editions for the one-time installation on your personal computer:
- Click Launch to run the software. Then select Authorize Computer.
- Click the link Get an Adobe ID and follow the instructions. (You must create an account to transfer OverDrive eBooks from your computer to your Nook. You transfer eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions).
- Return to the activation screen. Enter your Adobe ID and password to activate computer.
- Click Activate and then Finish.
- Activate your Nook by plugging it into your computer with Adobe Digital Editions open.
- Adobe Digital Editions will detect your Nook and ask to activate it using your Adobe ID.
Search for and download your eBooks
- Go to OverDrive and search or browse the collection. You can go directly to eBooks by choosing View all eBooks found under Collection on the left. Adobe EPUB eBooks and Adobe PDF eBooks are compatible with Nooks.
- Select add to cart for the title you want. If the title is already checked out, you may reserve it by selecting place a hold.
- After you have added a title to My Cart, select Proceed to Checkout.
- At the Sign In page, you must select your home library from the list of participating libraries. Enter your library card number and 4-digit PIN.
- At the Check Out page, choose a lending period, either 14 or 7 days. Then click Confirm checkout.
- At the Download page, select Download. When asked, select “Open.” The title will automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions. (If it doesn’t automatically open, locate the downloaded file, which ends in “.acsm”, double click it and select Adobe Digital Editions to open it.
Transfer your eBook to your Nook
- Plug Nook into computer. Adobe Digital Editions will recognize Nook. Nook will show up under Bookshelves on left side of Adobe screen.
- Click on Library View (icon of books, upper left) in Adobe Digital Editions to view your titles.
- Drag and drop the title you wish to transfer onto the Nook icon found below Bookshelves in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions.
- Safely remove your Nook from the computer.
- Touch the menu icon at the bottom of your Nook for My Library. Your book(s) will appear under “My Documents.” Use the up or down arrows to highlight your choice. Touch the o button on right to open.
To return items early
- Hover your mouse over the book in Adobe Digital Editions. Nook needs to be plugged in with USB.
Click on the small arrow in top left of the book cover. Then click on Return Borrowed Item.